Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Sucky Advice

Well, I did it.  I finally convinced my 2 year old daughter that her sucky is lost forever.  And honestly it is lost.  All 5 of them are lost and I refuse to buy more.  She is surprisingly fine with it.  Except when she is mad at me, of course.  When my daughter was born, she came out screaming, and didn't stop till about 10 months old.  During my last night at the hospital, I had asked the nurse to take her from my room so that I could get a solid 2-3 hours of sleep, since she would not settle.  The nurse was kind enough to take her for about 6 hours and woke me up in the morning with a very content baby, sucking on a disposable nipple stuffed with tissue.  Apparently they had run out of actual soothers, and out of desperation, made one.  Thus started the days of the "sucky".

Don't get me wrong, I am open to the idea of soothers.  They worked well for both of my kids.  But by the time they were 2, the suckies had to go.  So here are my tips for getting rid of the sucky:





  • Be persistent and consistent.  I told my daughter it was lost, and even helped her to look for it, knowing she would not find it.  After the third day, she stopped looking.
  • Do something different.  I used to just tuck my daughter into bed with her sucky and blanket, and say goodnight.  For the first few nights without it, I turned the lights off in the living room and let her rock with me until she was sleepy enough to go to bed.  Something I have not done too often since she was an infant.
  • Keep a backup just in case.  After a few days, I did find a sucky.  It was stashed in the secret pocket of my purse.  She had been doing so well, there was no way I was giving it to her, unless things got really bad.  Fortunately they did not, but I am sure there will be children who turn into the Devil without it.
Some positive things have happened since the sucky has disappeared.  She has definitely started talking more.  I like to call her a jabber-box.  She has also given up her naps throughout the day. This means bedtime comes earlier, which is always nice.  Also, I can stop worrying about where the sucky has been.  There have been times when I picked it up and almost gagged at whatever gunk was collecting on it.  And best of all, there is nothing blocking her beautiful chipped tooth smile! And that my friends, is a story for another day :)





sigapril

1 comment:

BellaVida said...

Hi, I just landed here from the Thankful for Friends Thursday blog hop. I'm a brand new follower.

Congratulations on eliminating the sucky from your life. lol ;)

My parents love to tell the story of how I quit using a pacifier. We were on vacation in Puerto Rico and I tossed it into a pig pen. Good bye for ever. lols I don't remember a thing but they love telling that story.

Bella Vida by Letty
Have a great day.

btw - love your purple header. so pretty